Friday, November 18, 2016

Decrepit Cauldron - 2005 - Wirkligkeit Altera Pars

Out of the Ukraine comes this Black Metal outfit with their 5 track debut. Presented on this album
are 4 long tracks of mid-paced to fast, slightly melodic technical Black Metal with an epic feel. Apart from the intro, all of the tracks are over 10 minutes long.

Musically this reminds me of a lot of different bands. Stiny Plamenu, Kampfar, Sorhin and Ophthalamia are some of the bands I hear in the mix here, as well as some Metallica-sounding
parts plus influences from both Death Metal and Thrash. I heard quite a few later Ophthalamia parts, which was somewhat unexpected. There is at times a rather Eastern European feel to the music as well, but it is surprisingly absent most of the time.

The vocals remind me somewhat of those by Kampfar, though more muffled and distant, as well as those in early Fleurety.

The soundquality is not at all bad. At the front of the mix there is the drum machine and the keyboard, followed by the guitar and then the vocals further back. The drummachine does get a bit annoying at times, I must say, though I am not fond of the sound of one, so I might be extra sensitive to this. However, this is a rather interesting and quite unpredictable album to listen to, which is most refreshing.

Standout tracks are "Prae Porta Ad Noctum", "Incarnation for the Blackest" and "Opus Aexestentialis". If you like your music varied and quite unpredictable I suggest you check this out.

Sunday October 12 2008, by :Vragh:

No comments:

Post a Comment